Senior Lecturer in Mathematics with a Specialisation in Applied Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Karlstad University has an opening for a full-time permanent position as Senior Lecturer in Mathematics with a specialisation in Applied Mathematics. The position is intended to strengthen and contribute to current research and education within the field of mathematics.
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science consists of the two research subjects, Mathematics and Computer Science, and has a research and teaching staff of more than 70 members. Mathematics at Karlstad University has two main areas of research: Mathematics and Mathematics Education. The mathematics research is driven by problem statements inspired by real-world applications and is focusing on multiscale modelling, analysis and simulation methods for partial differential equations (PDEs), kinetic theory, functional analysis, interacting particle systems, error correcting codes, and information theory. For more details, see https://www.kau.se/en/mathematics
The subject mathematics has a large teaching assignment in undergraduate education and is responsible for a large number of courses in engineering and teacher education as well as for the Bachelor´s program in mathematics.
Duties include teaching and supervision in mathematics at both undergraduate, advanced and research level, as well as research and research administration. Another important task is the successful application of external research funding.
Teaching is an essential part of the duties and the position will consist of 80% teaching and 20% research. The majority of the teaching will be conducted at undergraduate level within engineering and the teacher education programmes and will also include course co-ordination and development. The applicant is expected to teach in Swedish after two years of employment at the latest.
The candidate is expected to actively contribute to the development of the mathematics research group by carrying out high-quality research with focus on PDEs (computational methods, multiscale mathematical analysis, and related topics). The candidate is expected to be actively involved in strengthening and maintaining his/her own professional network. Moreover, the candidate is expected to act as an independent player in a team, for instance, by promoting interactions and collaborations with other departments of the university and the local community as well as internationally.
In order to contribute to a good working environment and the development of the department’s activities, the candidate is expected to be based at the university in Karlstad and take part in the day-to-day operations.
To be eligible for the position, applicants are required to have a Degree of Doctor in Mathematics with a specialisation in partial differential equations (e.g., numerics and/or analysis for PDEs, inverse problems, mathematical aspects of materials science, interacting particles and discrete-to-continuum limits) or related areas, or have equivalent qualifications. The ability to work independently as well as together with others are important characteristics. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
Experience of teaching in mathematics at both undergraduate and advance levels are required. Completed course in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education or equivalent qualifications is also a requirement. In special circumstances, this course may be completed within two years of employment as part of the professional development commitment.
For general qualification requirements, please refer to Karlstad University’s appointments procedure.
In the assessment, equal emphasis will be placed on teaching and research skills.
Special weight will be placed on:
- well-documented teaching experience in mathematics at university level,
- excellent teaching skills,
- excellent research qualifications, particularly from the last five years, with relevance to the position,
- experiences of supervising at undergraduate, advanced and research level.
Considerable weight will also be placed on:
- the candidate’s personal qualities, such as ability to co-operate, level of commitment, ability to create good relationships with colleagues and students, as well as ability to take initiatives,
- documented experience of successfully applying for external research funding,
- the candidate’s experience of conducting national and international research projects in collaboration with other partners,
- high level of proficiency in Swedish,
- how well future research plans contribute and relate to current research in mathematics at Karlstad University, and
- the candidate’s ability to work independently.
Terms of employment
The position is full-time, permanent employment with starting date in spring 2021 or by agreement. A probationary period may be required.
Karlstad University places great value on the enriching presence of diverse backgrounds and gender balance in the organisation. We welcome applicants with different cultural backgrounds, gender identities, functional abilities and life experiences.
For questions of scientific matters please contact Adrian Muntean, professor in mathematics. For questions of administration and teaching matters please contact Anders Hedin, deputy head of department.
The application should include:
- a cover letter describing why you are interested in the position,
- list of merits, including three references,
- teaching statement,
- research statement (including a brief description of the main research ideas that you wish to pursue at Karlstad University)
- a detailed account of your research and teaching activities,
- an account of your experience in other areas, experience in management, teamwork and administration,
- list of published works,
- copies of certificates, references and degree certificates,
- a maximum of 10 academic publications, and
- a maximum of five works intended to disseminate expertise, e.g. textbooks, computer programmes for teaching or popular-science articles.
A complete application should be submitted no later than the application deadline. Applicants are responsible for submitting a complete application in accordance with the advertisement and for ensuring that the documentation allows for objective and qualitative assessments.
Three copies of documents that cannot be sent electronically, such as books, publications, educational software, should be sent to:
651 88 Karlstad
State reference number: REK2020/234
Last day of application: 15 march 2021