Hello from snowy Russia!
We decided to dedicate our first post to our beautiful city and we hope that You will understand why. Being the second largest city in Russia (and the third in Europe after Moscow and London) but the most charming one, Saint-Petersburg was designated as the Russian ‘cultural capital’. It was founded in 1703 by one of the most remarkable emperors ever in Russia Peter the Great. Our Peter the Great Saint-Petersburg Polytechnic University (SPbPU) was named after him but let us speak later about it.
There is not enough space to enlist all the advantages of staying in Saint-Petersburg starting with its marvelous architecture and cultural features up to friendly people around. Our city is home to more than two hundred museums and nearly all of them are located in historic buildings.
Did you know?
- Population: over 5 million.
- Area: about 1 500 sq km.
- Climate: moderate and humid.
- Saint-Petersburg is the biggest Northen city in the World.
- Every summer the natural phenomena called “White nights” take place for period from 11 june to 2 july. Nights never get completely dark as in the dusk.
- The State Hermitage Museum is one of the biggest museums in the World and its total area is 233 345 sq. metres. The museum includes over 3 million works of art and world culture artefacts.
- What is in the picture below? That is an example of our metro station! It is really beautiful, isn’t it?
Our metro is one of the deepest metro systems in the world and the deepest by the average depth of all the stations (even 86 metres deep underground).
- Saint-Petersburg is sometimes called the second Amsterdam because of a large numbers of bridges.
- We are the world capital of trams – the length of the tram rails is 600km.
Pingback: Hello from St Petersburg – ECMI