We would like you to give some insights into an international Master’s degree program “Continuum Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications”, which is performed at the Institute of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics of Peter the Great St. Petersburg Polytechnic University.
The Program is aimed at preparing master students, who are able to formulate and solve a wide range of problems arising in various fields of continuum mechanics – both of mechanics of solids and fluids, with focus on interdisciplinarity. Program topics include phase transformations, mechanochemistry, biological systems etc., as well as deep learning of basic subjects of continuum mechanics and applied mathematics. As a result, the graduates will acquire competencies which are necessary to both fundamental and applied research in theoretical and computational mechanics of solids, gas and fluids in one pack in the spirit of the STEM Education concept aimed at obtaining 21st century skills in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Being enrolled to this Program means practice-based learning, mentoring and scientific guidance from prominent professors of the Institute of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, recognized scientists from the Institute for Problems in Mechanical Engineering of Russian Academy of Science that is one of the leading research institutions in the field of mechanics of materials, and invited professors from top world universities.
Curriculum (All lectures and seminars are delivered in English):
- Fundamental Mechanics – 42 ECTS:
Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Continua; Mechanics of solids: Elasticity and Plasticity; Fracture Mechanics and Micromechanics of Heterogeneous Media; Мicromechanics of Strength and Plasticity; Dynamics of thin-walled structures; Waves in Continua; Fluid Mechanics; Multiphase Flows; Turbulence Modeling; Research and Developments of Mechatronic Systems.
- Computational Solid and Fluid Mechanics – 8 ECTS;
- Mathematical foundations – 16 ECTS:
Tensor Calculus; Elements of Functional Analysis; Numerical methods for PDE’s and Fundamentals of Finite Elements; Mathematical Methods in Solid Mechanics; Reliable Modeling and Error Control (A Posteriory Error Analysis), and Advanced Topics in Probability, Stochastic Processes and Statistics.
- Research and Modeling Seminar – 16 ECTS: all students are given a problem-project to solve either individually or in minigroups, and the results are then discussed altogether.
- Mechanics and Applied Mathematics in Sciences and Technologies – 8 ECTS: modular courses where leading scientists from European and USA universities offer students challenging courses and highlight cutting-edge issues on various topics in mechanics and applied mathematics. After the end of each module the communication and possible collaboration with the invited lecturer may be continued on-line to provide support with research projects as well as theses.
- W.H. Müller (TU Berlin). „Rational Electrodynamics of Materials”
“Nonlinear deformation of solids in particular rubber”
- Eric Charkaluk (École Polytechnique). “Fatigue and shakedown”. “Strong and weak thermomechanical couplings in solids”
- W. T. van Horssen (TU Delft). “Perturbation Methods for Nonlinear Continuous Dynamical Systems”
- Alexander Chudnovsky (University of Illinois Chicago). “Experimental and Theoretical Fracture Mechanics”
|Program name||Continuum Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications|
|Award||Master of Science|
|Mode of study||full-time|
|Course duration||2 years (120 ECTS): 3 semesters at SPbPU + 1 semesters at a partner university (optional)|
|Entry requirements||Bachelor’s, Specialist’s or Master’s degree in a relevant area is required / English language proficiency – B+ (CEFR B2) / Exam Test in a relevant field of studies / Interview in English with a program coordinator (Skype option is available)|
|Partners||• Netherland — Delft University of Technology
• Germany — Technical University of Berlin
• France — École Polytechnique
• Finland — Aalto University
- Staying in the most beautiful city of Russia – Saint-Petersburg – will reward you with unforgettable experience!
- cross-cultural studies and extracurricular activities at SPbPU;
Application Forms and Deadlines
To apply for the MSc please visit
You will find a list of the required documents and instructions on how to submit these online here http://english.spbstu.ru/education/admissions/admission-procedure/
Roman Filippov, Program Coordinator
Deputy Director for International Affairs IAMM,
Associate Professor Department of Mechanics and Control
Peter the Great St.Petersburg Polytechnic University, Russia