Associate Professor in Applied Mathematics, Optimization – Ref.no 18/00589
The Faculty of Science and Technology at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant permanent position as Associate professor in Applied Mathematics, optimization.
The Faculty of Science and Technology has 130 employees, about 1,100 students and about 60 PhD students. The Faculty offers bachelor, master and doctoral degrees in natural sciences and engineering in the fields of environmental physics and renewable energy, building and architecture, water and environmental technology, machine-, process and product development, geomatics and educational sciences. The workplace is in Ås, 30 km from Oslo.
The faculty is organized in divisions. All divisions, except Applied Mathematics, have master programs. From August 2017, the faculty offers a new master program in data science. RealTek is responsible for teaching all the regular mathematics courses at NMBU. The curriculum consists of courses at the bachelor-, master- and Ph.D-level.
The vacant position is affiliated with the division of Applied Mathematics. The successful candidate is expected to
• teach mathematics courses at all levels
• take active part in the development of the curriculum
• supervise master and Ph.D students in her /his specialty
• conduct mathematical research with national and international collaborators (cf. section below)
• participate in and lead research projects and develop applications for external research funding
• administrative tasks according to university regulations
Mathematical modeling plays an important role in the exploration of complex biological and engineering systems. NMBU requires research competence in advanced mathematics and has a specific aim of developing teaching and research in mathematical modeling of biological and engineering processes. In line with this goal, RealTek seeks to hire an expert in applied and computational mathematics. Applicants with documented research in mathematical optimization will be given preference. We are seeking candidates who have experience with optimization problems arising within the following topics: dynamical systems, partial differential equations, numerical linear algebra, ill-posed problems, machine learning.
In order to complement and strengthen the mathematical foundation of the research and education at the faculty, the successful applicant is expected to work with applied topics associated with the master programs offered by RealTek.
• A Ph.D degree in applied mathematics
• A publication record of papers published in mathematical journals
• Fluency in written and spoken Norwegian and English. A successful candidate who does not speak Norwegian, Swedish or Danish is obliged to learn Norwegian within 2 years.
We will put emphasis on the following competences, in prioritized order, in the assessment of the applicants:
1. Academic and applied experience with solving optimization problems.
2. Mathematical knowledge about dynamical systems, partial differential equations, numerical linear algebra, ill-posed problems.
3. Expertise in machine learning, scientific computing and software development.
4. Experience with optimization from industry.
5. Modeling of engineering, physical or biological systems.
6. Teaching and supervision experience.
7. Ability to obtain research funds from external sources.
If the successful candidate does not have formal qualifications in pedagogics, she/he is obliged to take NMBUs course in university pedagogics within two years.
We seek a highly motivated and competent candidate, with good communication and collaboration skills and a commitment to excellence in both research and education.
For additional info: see